Findings from the Pulse of the Purchaser Fall 2022 Survey highlighted drug costs, hospital prices, and high-cost claims as three key challenges facing employers in improving health care affordability. Pulse of the Purchaser, a national survey of employers, was conducted in August and September 2022 by the National Alliance of Healthcare Purchaser Coalitions (National Alliance) to gauge concerns and views of employers around the following:
- Workforce environment
- Hospital price and quality transparency
- Health and wellbeing benefit strategies, including reproductive benefits
- Health equity
- Pharmacy drug strategies
- High-cost claims
- Impact of potential health reforms
Among the findings:
- Rising healthcare costs are a significant challenge for employers trying to attract and retain talent, with 7 out of 10 employers agreeing that costs directly or indirectly crowd out salary or wage increases and impact ability to remain competitive.
- Rising healthcare costs impact employers’ ability to remain competitive and increase wages.
- Nearly 8 out of 10 employers consider drug prices, high-cost claims, and hospital prices a significant threat to the affordability of employer-provided health coverage for employees and their families