The latest quarterly refresh of hospice quality data is now available on Medicare Compare – Hospice (data updated Aug 31 2022).
Note: The claims-based and patient experience quality measures: Hospice Item Set (HIS), Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) Hospice Survey, and Claims-based measure scores exclude Quarter 1 and Quarter 2 of calendar year 2020 (January 1-June 30, 2020) because of temporary data exemptions in response to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency.
Quality of Patient Care measures
- Patients who got an assessment of all 7 HIS quality measures at the beginning of hospice care to meet the HIS Comprehensive Assessment Measure requirements (2020Q4_2021Q3)
- Percentage of patients who received visits from a registered nurse or medical social worker on at least 2 out of the final 3 days of their life. (2019Q2_2019Q4, 2020Q3_2021Q3)
- Hospice Care Index Score: (2019Q2_2019Q4, 2020Q3_2021Q3)
The HIS Comprehensive Assessment Measure is a composite of 7 HIS care process measures.
- NQF #1617 Patients treated with an Opioid who are Given a Bowel Regimen
- NQF #1634 Pain Screening
- NQF #1637 Pain Assessment
- NQF #1639 Dyspnea Screening
- NQF #1638 Dyspnea Treatment
- NQF #1647 Beliefs/Values Addressed (if desired by the patient)
- NQF #1641 Treatment Preferences
Patient and family experience measures (8 measures)
Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) Survey® results reporting 2019Q2_2019Q4, and 2020Q3_2021Q3.
- Communication with family
- Getting timely help
- Treating patient with respect
- Emotional and spiritual support
- Help for pain and symptoms
- Training family to care for patient
- Rating of this hospice
- Willing to recommend this hospice