New rankings from NiceRx, analyzing hospitals based on quality, safety and access, ranked Pennsylvania as the best state for healthcare. The report analyzed hospitals across the US to investigate which states offer the best access to top healthcare. It detailed hospital quality, safety, access, and the hospitals on the US hospital honor roll, to rank each of the 50 states on their level of healthcare.
For the analysis, each state was given a score based on five factors:
- Percentage of hospitals with “A” grades in safety (Source: Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade)
- Number of hospitals on U.S. News’ honor roll (Source: U.S. News & World Report Best Hospitals)
- Number of hospitals in Healthgrades’ America’s Top 50 (Source: Healthgrades.com)
- Number of hospitals and staffed hospital beds per 1 million residents (Source: ahd.com)
- All population calculations were made using population figures from populationu.com
Each state was given a normalised score out of ten for each of the factors above before an average of these was taken to create the state healthcare score out of ten.
The top five states with the best healthcare, according to the analysis, include: