The latest quarterly refresh of hospice quality data is now available on Medicare Compare – Hospice (data updated May 25 2022).
- The claims-based and patient experience quality measures: Hospice Item Set (HIS), Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) Hospice Survey, and Claims-based measure scores exclude Quarter 1 and Quarter 2 of calendar year 2020 (January 1-June 30, 2020) because of temporary data exemptions in response to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency. In addition, state averages will now be displayed for each measure.
- Hospice Visits in the Last Days of Life (HVLDL) and the Hospice Care Index (HCI) claims-based measures have been suppressed by CMS for all hospices and will not be publicly displayed for the May 2022 refresh. CMS is targeting the August 2022 refresh for the inaugural public display of these two new quality measures.
Hospice Item Set (HIS) quality measure results (Quality of Care) updated to report data through Q2 2021.
- Percentage of patients who received visits from a registered nurse or medical social worker on at least 2 out of the final 3 days of their life. (2019Q2_2019Q4, 2020Q3_2021Q3)
- Patients who got an assessment of all 7 HIS quality measures at the beginning of hospice care to meet the HIS Comprehensive Assessment Measure requirements (2020Q3_2021Q2)
The HIS Comprehensive Assessment Measure is a composite of 7 HIS care process measures.
- NQF #1617 Patients treated with an Opioid who are Given a Bowel Regimen
- NQF #1634 Pain Screening
- NQF #1637 Pain Assessment
- NQF #1639 Dyspnea Screening
- NQF #1638 Dyspnea Treatment
- NQF #1647 Beliefs/Values Addressed (if desired by the patient)
- NQF #1641 Treatment Preferences
Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS®) Survey® results reporting 2019Q1_2019Q4, and 2020Q3_2021Q2.
- Communication with family
- Getting timely help
- Treating patient with respect
- Emotional and spiritual support
- Help for pain and symptoms
- Training family to care for patient
- Rating of this hospice
- Willing to recommend this hospice