Updated annual health system data and health indicator results are now available from the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI). The data released today predates the emergence of COVID-19 and the current pandemic. Updated information can be found on the following topics:
- Hospital Stays in Canada, 2018–2019 – Annual data tables that provide key information on inpatient hospitalizations: top 10 reasons for hospitalizations and surgeries; in-hospital births; and standardized hospitalization rates and average lengths of stay.
- Hospital Beds Staffed and In Operation, 2018–2019 – Data tables containing information on the number of hospital beds staffed and in operation, broken down by care setting (xls) .
- Nursing in Canada, 2019 – Data and information on supply and workforce for nurse practitioners, registered nurses, registered psychiatric nurses and licensed practical nurses.
- Your Health System (YHS) – 37 performance indicators about health care organizations, jurisdictions and the health of Canadians updated in this interactive web tool, including the 3 indicators that were released for the first time last year:
- Hospital Stays for Harm Caused by Substance Use
- Frequent Emergency Room Visits for Help With Mental Health and/or Addictions
- Hospital Stay Extended Until Home Care Services or Supports Ready
- Health Indicators e-Publication – Updated data for 30 CIHI indicators measuring health status, non-medical determinants of health, health system performance, and community and health system characteristics jointly produced by Statistics Canada and CIHI.