Kaiser Health News writes of rise in consumers using online cost estimator offered through their insurance companies to price-shop for care as patients shoulder a bigger share of the cost of their medical care. Outside companies are developing the online calculators, and most insurers offer them. However inaccuracies with online estimators are making price comparison difficult due to the variability in the information that’s provided to consumers. Some estimators reflect an aggregate range of possible costs; others are based on historic pricing, or claims data from varying sources. Many are limited in the type of procedures they include.
Unreliable Online Tools Making Price Comparison for Medical Care Difficult
More from United StatesMore posts in United States »
- Hospital Safety Rankings: Brand Names Do Not Always Mean Good Quality
- Fortune/IBM Watson Health 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospitals 2021
- CMS to Find Ways to Protect Consumers from Ground Ambulance Services Surprise Medical Billing
- AHRQ Stats: Impact of the Onset of the COVID-19 Pandemic on Older Adult Hospitalizations
- How Unnecessary Follow-Up Care Can Lead to Financial Harm