A study from the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) found that nearly 1 in 10 acute care patients returned to the ED within seven days of hospital discharge. The study, All-Cause Readmission to Acute Care and Return to the Emergency Department, included more than 2.1 million hospitalizations across the country. The study looked at surgical, medical, pediatric and obstetric patients to better understand who returned to acute care after discharge and for what clinical reason in those jurisdictions where detailed emergency department (ED) data was available—Alberta, Ontario and Yukon.
Study finds 1 in 12 patients readmitted to Canadian hospitals within 30 days
More from CanadaMore posts in Canada »
- Patient Experience Survey & Measurement Resource
- Access to Palliative Care Data in Canada
- Manitoba Becomes First Canadian Province to Collect Race-Based Patient Data in Drive for Equitable Health Care
- FOCUS on Healthcare: Emergency Department Data Updated
- CIHI Report Finds Longer Wait Time for Hip & Knee Placement