A study from the Canadian Institute for Health Information (CIHI) found that nearly 1 in 10 acute care patients returned to the ED within seven days of hospital discharge. The study, All-Cause Readmission to Acute Care and Return to the Emergency Department, included more than 2.1 million hospitalizations across the country. The study looked at surgical, medical, pediatric and obstetric patients to better understand who returned to acute care after discharge and for what clinical reason in those jurisdictions where detailed emergency department (ED) data was available—Alberta, Ontario and Yukon.
Study finds 1 in 12 patients readmitted to Canadian hospitals within 30 days
More from CanadaMore posts in Canada »
- CIHI Data Release: Wait Times for Priority Procedures in Canada
- CIHI: COVID-19 hospitalization and emergency department statistics
- Report Finds 1 in 10 Canadians Wait 4 months or More Before Receiving Community Mental Health Counselling
- CIHI: Updated Data on Hospital Stays, Inpatient Surgeries in Canada
- Canada: COVID-19 Hospitalization and Emergency Department Statistics