Enhancements to the WhyNotTheBest.org interactive map [http://www.whynotthebest.org/maps] enable robust explorations of health system performance at the national, state, county, and regional levels.Using new map overlays, users can zoom in on communities involved in key delivery system reform efforts, such as the Beacon Communities or development of medical homes, as well as flag health care providers who have been recognized for delivering high-quality care.
New performance data have also been added to the map, including:
- Health information technology measures tracking whether hospitals have adopted basic or comprehensive electronic medical record systems;
- Prevention quality indicators tracking hospital admissions by county for conditions such as diabetes and asthma;
- Inpatient quality indicators showing county rates for procedures such as coronary artery bypass grafts;
- Patient safety indicators showing county rates for complications of hospital care such as bloodstream infections;
- Population health measures by region assessing the number of Medicare beneficiaries with various conditions such as heart failure; and
- Utilization and cost measures by region assessing factors such as standardized costs for imaging, lab tests, or emergency department visits among Medicare beneficiaries.
You can also read a blog discussing the map’s capacity to explore health system performance and track delivery system reforms in communities across the nation