2,446 adverse events were reported in California from July 1, 2007, through Dec. 31, 2009, according to the state Department of Public Health (San Francisco Chronicle), and the avoidable mistake continue to rise despite hospital efforts. In 2007, legislation was introduced to give public health officials the authority to issue administrative penalties for violations that put patients at risk of death or injury. Since 2007, California has issued 156 administrative penalties to 108 hospitals.
"Never events" increase in Californian hospitals
More from CaliforniaMore posts in California »
- New CHCF Survey Show CA Residents Struggling with Medical Bills
- CHCF Release Quality Measures Focusing on Maternal & Children’s Health
- Report on California Health Insurance in 2021
- FAIR Health Launches Actionable Tools with Healthcare Cost Information for Older Adults and Family Caregivers
- Cal Hospital Compare Announces Honor Roll Hospitals