The Healthcare Association of New York State (HANYS) released a study to assess and score of eight prominent government, not-for-profit, and for-profit hospital quality reports. They included New York health care practitioners and quality experts. HANYS reported three out of the eight major hospital quality reports scored better than a “B”.
Other organizations providing information on report cards use different approaches, resulting in varying scores for the same hospital. This makes it difficult for the public to understand the indicators of quality.
Hospital report cards used in the study:
- HealthGrades, a for-profit organization
- Centers for Medicaid and Medicare Services (CMS)
- New York State Department of Health
- The Joint Commission, a not-for-profit health care improvement entity
- Leapfrog Group, a not-for-profit group
- Niagara Health Quality Coalition on Hospital Quality, a not-for-profit group
- Solucient, a for-profit group
- U.S. News and World Report, a for-profit news magazine.