The National Conference of State Legislatures provides summaries of laws affecting disclosure, transparency, reporting and/or publication of hospital and health care charges and fees:
- 34 states have passed or pending statues requiring hospitals to report information on hospital charges or payment rates.
- 22 of these states have regulations stipulating the information hospitals must report.
- 6 states have voluntary efforts asking hospitals to report information on hospital charges or payment rates.
- 30 states report hospital charge information on inpatient services.
- 8 of those states report information for some DRGs, 15 report for all DRGs.
- 25 states report charge information for outpatient services.
- 3 states report on all ambulatory payment classifications.
- 21 states have variations of outpatient reporting requirements.
- 29 states require that hospitals report pricing information to the state.
Source: National Conference of State Legislatures: State Legislation Relating to Disclosure of Hospital and Health Charges, December 2006